06 August 2005

Forgot to Say

I forgot to say that we (my daughter, Maria, and I) arrived in Austria via Munich, where I was able to meet briefly with Richard King, an ancient philosopher who teaches at the University of Munich. A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of reviewing his book, Aristotle on Life and Death, for Bryn Mawr Classical Review (here). Richard is a wonderful scholar and fine man. We visited some churches in the Marienplatz together and sampled a pastry together--this at the request of my daughter, who aspires to be a pastry chef.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of this is just the reward for all those years of working in the library without air conditioning. Really, though, if only there had been air conditioning, would there have been much room for complaint?

Maybe you aren't romanticizing your travels, but some of us definitely are!

Michael Pakaluk said...

Fair enough. And, for those who know me, it would hardly be believable if I claimed indifference as to Mahler 4 and Alfred Brendel at the Salzburg festival....

Michael Pakaluk said...

By the way, the very first stop on our trip was to Dachau--not because visiting a concentration camp should be at the start of a trip (although maybe it should) but because we were to stay in Munich only overnight, and the camp is closed on Mondays. This was a very powerful experience which, however, I do not wish to discuss on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter wants to be a pastry baker? Would Plato approve of this?