23 January 2006

Reflection on Seeing That One Sees

...How are we aware that seeing is going on (as opposed to hearing etc)? Is it by sight that one is aware that one is seeing (ie that the faculty of sight is the one that is operating right now)?

It seems that it would be by sight, because to see just is to get a visible object actualised, so one is ipso facto aware that it is vision, not hearing, that is going on. But actually that won't do: the rest of the chapter problematises the easy answer canvassed (hypothetically) at the beginning. So the final question is more complicated: not just how am I aware that I am seeing and hearing, but how am I aware of both those things and I can distinguish between them?
From a recent comment by Catherine Osborne, on a post from last year's discussion of reflexive perception, "A Saving in Need of a Phenomenon".

(Once again, comments added to posts that are not on the current webpage will not show under "Recent Comments". I therefore highlight them at my discretion.)

0 comments: